You are here
Dr John Walters
MBBS DPDerm FASEM FACRRM FRACGP
Dr John Walters has been involved in the practice and promotion of integrative medicine for more than 35 years. After graduating from the University of Melbourne, he established his own general practice clinics in Melbourne, and in rural Queensland. More than 20 years of rural practice enabled John to develop a broad scope of work from obstetrics, anaesthetics and surgery, to a comprehensive allergy clinic, nutritional and lifestyle medicine and the management of skin conditions including cancers. He trained in dermatology in the UK from which has grown his large dermatology and skin cancer interests. He has trained other practitioners in allergy management in this time.
Over the past 13 years, John has worked in General Practice in Clifton Hill, expanding his interest in dermatology and skin cancer surgery, nutritional medicine, allergy management, chemical sensitivities, thyroid and autoimmune conditions and preventative medicine and lifestyle modification.
John has held a lecturing position at the University of Queensland, been involved in training practitioners in integrative medicine, and enjoys supervising medical students from The University of Melbourne. He is a founding member and Fellow of the Australian Society of Environmental Medicine (ASEM), has published research on the efficacy of immunotherapy in general practice, and on the management and treatment of skin conditions in general practice (Phelps), and is an active researcher in the broad application of evolving integrative medical practice.
John’s commitment in his medical practice is to treat patients individually according to their specific history, needs and lifestyle. He uses an educational emphasis with patients to help them understand and optimise their healing and ongoing well-being and health.
Specific areas of interest in his practice
- Integrative General Practice
- Dermatology and skin surgery including treatment of skin cancer
- Nutritional Medicine
- Preventative medicine and lifestyle modification
- Allergies and Environmental Medicine including food and chemical sensitivities
- Thyroid and Autoimmune conditions
- Psychological problems.
- Diploma of Practical Dermatology with Distinction
- Fellow, Australian Society of Environmental Medicine
- Fellow, Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Fellow, Royal Australian College of General Practice
- Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Keen bike rider who loves riding off road including cycling to work. He has ridden the 1,000km Mawson Trail into outback SA three times and the rugged Tasmanian Trail from north to south across the state. Enjoys cycle touring, painting and bush walking.
- Wonderful wife, amazing children and spectacular grandchildren, all of whom he adores.